| The Disneyland Report > Disney Secrets and Facts > Hong Kong Disneyland Secrets and Facts > General Hong Kong Disneyland Secrets and Facts
Disneyland Secrets at The Disneyland Report
General Hong Kong Disneyland Resort Information, Secrets, Facts
- Hong Kong Disneyland is a joint venture between The Walt Disney Company and the Government of the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (HKSAR Government).
- Hong Kong Disneyland was the Walt Disney Company's 11th theme park and fifth theme park resort worldwide.
Hong Kong Disneyland Location
- Hong Kong Disneyland is located on Lantau Island, located in Penny's Bay on the northeast end of the island, 10 minutes from Hong Kong International Airport and less than 30 minutes by train, ferry or motorway from downtown Hong Kong.
Hong Kong Disneyland Construction
- Construction of Hong Kong Disneyland Resort began in January 2003. Site preparation, land reclamation, initial layout of roads and infrastructure, and public park landscaping by the HKSAR Government preceded construction. The Hong Kong Disneyland project was announced in 1999. Up to 5,000 workers were on the job at one time.
- The Hong Kong Disneyland Resort originally opened with about 300 acres, four lands, 21 rides, and two hotels. The actual park debuted with about 100 acres.
- Hong Kong Disneyland is the smallest Disneyland style park in the world.
- The Hong Kong Disneyland Resort project cost $3.5 billion to construct, with the Hong Kong government paying much of the bill and the Walt Disney Company sporting a smaller percentage.
- While other international Magic Kingdom style Disney theme parks have been modeled after the Magic Kingdom at Walt Disney World, Hong Kong Disneyland is most closely modeled after the original Disneyland in California and is often considered its sister park. The train station, Main Street, USA, and Sleeping Beauty Castle at Hong Kong Disneyland are very close copies of Disneyland's.
- The Walt Disney Company justified having fewer thrill rides and more locations to take photos by saying research had indicated that many Chinese visitors preferred tamer rides.
- There is much space left in Hong Kong Disneyland for future expansion;
future attractions may include Pirates of the Caribbean, the Haunted
Mansion, or "it's a small world." Pirates of the Caribbean at Hong Kong Disneyland is rumored to be combined with Splash Mountain to create a more intense water splashdown flume ride, while the Haunted Mansion is rumored to have a voodoo theme and be placed in Adventureland. This would continue the unintentional tradition of putting each Magic Kingdom style Disney park's version of the Haunted Mansion in a different land.
- The nighttime lighting around Hong Kong Disneyland is one of the most dramatic and ambitious at any Disney theme park. Park areas are lit with lanterns, special light fixtures, and fiber optics. Imagineer and Executive Producer of Hong Kong Disneyland Tom Morris said the special lighting is to impress Hong Kong residents, who are already accustomed to elaborate nighttime celebrations.
- The landscaping at Hong Kong Disneyland features more plants and trees from more locations than any other Magic Kingdom style Disney theme park in the world. Park landscapers were able to make the most of the region's tropical climate by bringing in foliage from other tropical regions to create lush scenery.
Hong Kong Disneyland Opening
- Hong Kong Disneyland opened on September 12, 2005 at exactly 1 p.m., a date and time determined to be extremely lucky by a Chinese consultant. September 12 is a good date for the opening of a new business, according to a Chinese almanac that lists what is lucky and what is not for each day of the year.
Hong Kong Disneyland Cast Members
- Hong Kong Disneyland employed 5,000 cast members at opening.
Hong Kong Disneyland Projected Attendance
- Projected attendance for Hong Kong Disneyland in 2005 was 5.6 million guests in the opening year.
Hong Kong Disneyland Parking & Resort Transportation
- Hong Kong Disneyland Resort offers parking spaces for 1,000 autos and 300 coaches in its main parking area, additional parking is available at the Disney resort hotels.
- The Disney-themed MTRC-Disneyland Resort Line trains connect the resort with the Hong Kong train system at Sunny Bay Station.
- Ferry boat service is planned to transport guests to and from the Disneyland Resort Pier. Franchised buses are available to connect to the bus network in Hong Kong
Hong Kong Disneyland Park Information
- A family entertainment theme park inspired by the original Disneyland in Anaheim, California; features major shows and adventures plus nine shops, eight restaurants and guest service facilities.
- With exciting future plans for expansion, the current HK Disneyland park is divided into four carefully themed lands: Main Street, U.S.A., Adventureland, Fantasyland, Tomorrowland. The rest of the space is taken up with backstage (i.e. park support) areas.
Hong Kong Disneyland Ticket Prices
- Hong Kong Disneyland changes its ticket prices depending on the day. Weekends, holidays, and busier days have more expensive ticket prices, while weekdays have a lower admission price. At opening day in 2005, Hong Kong Disneyland ticket prices were:
Children (3-11): HK$210
Seniors (65 or older): HK$170
- Weekends and Peak Day Ticket Prices
Children (3-11): HK$250
Seniors (65 or older): HK$200
- Admission for children under 3 is free.
- Tickets include all rides and shows within the park. All-Day Parking is HK$120 per vehicle
Inspiration Lake Recreation Centre
- The Inspiration Lake Recreation Center is a public park near the Hong Kong Disneyland Resort.
- Inspiration Lake Recreation Centre includes Inspiration Lake, boat rentals, jogging trails, service centre and 3.5-hectare arboretum.
Hong Kong Disneyland Hotel
- The deluxe, 400-room, Victorian-style Hong Kong Disneyland Hotel features two restaurants, a grand ballroom, indoor and outdoor pools, spa, gift shop, four-story atrium lobby, Mickey Mouse-inspired maze, 15 concierge level suites with view of the South China Sea and its surrounding mountains.
Disney's Hollywood Hotel
- The moderately-priced 600-room Art Deco-style Disney's Hollywood Hotel also features family-friendly with two restaurants, shops, piano-shaped pool plus terrace gardens laid out like a miniature map of Hollywood, U.S.A.
Hong Kong Disneyland Grand Opening Ceremonies
- Hong Kong Disneyland's opening was described as one of the biggest media events since the territory was handed back to China from the UK in 1997.
- The grand opening ceremony for Hong Kong Disneyland was attended by then Walt Disney Company CEO Michael Eisner, CEO-elect Bob Iger, and Chinese Vice President Zeng Qinghong.
News Stories about Hong Kong Disneyland's Grand Opening (links open in new window):
Hong Kong Disneyland opens with traditional Chinese ceremony
Hong Kong Disneyland, Disney's 11th theme park, opens to general public
Hong Kong Disneyland Resort grand opening features tradition, music, and Disney magic
Submit a Hong Kong Disneyland Secret
Continue to Hong Kong Disneyland Feng Shui Secrets and Facts
Return to Hong Kong Disneyland Secrets and Facts
Return to Disney and Disneyland Secrets